Social Media is Still Social – Isn’t it?November 29, 2011 at 3:58 am | Posted in Foursquare, Social Media, Twitter | 2 Comments
Tags: Engagement, Facebook, Fans, Social Media, Twitter
Every Facebook Page has a button where you can display posts from the Page or the posts from the fans as a default. Very few teams prioritize their fans’ post over their own – this makes no sense to me…
Social marketing should be… SOCIAL.
Teams would counter that their content gets lost in the stream of fan posts quickly. Social marketing isn’t just about dropping links to the team site. Maybe I’m wrong, but last time I checked, Facebook was all about the fans.
Yes – I’ve preached about corporate sales presence in social media (a lot). And yes, a post with corporate content could get lost very quickly – but who says a single post had any real value to a corporate partner in the first place? Corporate sales needs to be more of a consistent presence/partnership – ideally, well integrated with the brand and fans alike.
If teams find it a problem that their fans are so talkative and engaged with their brand, then I think perhaps its time to return to the basics…
- Up to 2/3rds of tweets should be @replys to fans
- Leverage fan content by RT’ing it
- Comment on Facebook photos
- Thank fans for their comments
- Customer service
- Engaging corporate partnerships
- Featuring content from fans
- Providing exclusive content
- 3-4 FB posts per day (few more on game days)
- 1 tweet per hour on average
- Interact with fans regularly
- Ask for opinions, ideas
Social marketing is a dynamic place – not a static stream of team posts. These are your fans – treat them well. There are other digital assets like your website that are strictly focused on your content. Use social media for what it does best – being social. Build and reinforce those fan relationships and they will be more apt to consume/share your content, buy your product and be advocates of your brand. We call them fans – but they are your customers.
2 Comments »
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
Digital wing man and social media consultant.
- RT @InsideHoops: Ray Allen missed a free throw. You can date a supermodel. These things happen. 6 hours ago
- Checking #NHL scores, holy Iginla! Great to see for him 6 hours ago
- Teaching Effective Management Skills Workshop to @ICABC (at @FourSeasons Hotel Vancouver w/ 2 others) [pic]: 4sq.com/18iiXRH 17 hours ago
TopicsApps Brand Branding Canucks Capitals CRM Delicious Engagement Entrepreneurs Facebook Foursquare Google Google Plus Leadership Linkedin Maple Leafs Marketing Marshall McLuhan NBA Networking NFL NHL Olympics Personal Brand Positioning Productivity profile ROI RSS Sales sales process Sales Tips Sales Training Selling Social Marketing Social Media Social Networking Sponsorship Sports Sports Marketing Super Bowl Tools Twitter Voicemail YouTube
Maribel on Re-branding a Sports Team: New… Http://Birburim.Com/… on Re-branding a Sports Team: New… Genesis on Re-branding a Sports Team: New… School Girls on Re-branding a Sports Team: New… http://www.elterngel… on Re-branding a Sports Team: New…